of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tajikistan H.E. Mr. Sirodjidin Aslov
at the 41st session of the Council of the OIC Member States Foreign Ministers
Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim,
Your Royal Highness, Prince Saud Al Faisal,
Chairman of the 41st session of the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers,
Distinguished Secretary General Mr. Iyad Ameen Madani
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have a great pleasure to express my sincere gratitude to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for hosting the 41st session of the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers in the beautiful city of Jeddah.
I would like to join previous speakers in thanking His Royal Highness Prince Saud Al Faisal and the people of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for their kind hospitality and excellent arrangement of our meetings today.
1. The issue of Palestine and its occupied territories has always been the central topic of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation.
We support the brotherly people and the State of Palestine in their efforts to take well-deserved place in the community of nations as its full-fledged member. We also welcome the reconciliation agreement between Palestinian groups and wish success and prosperity to the Government of National unity of Palestine.
Furthermore we believe that dialogue with the State of Israel directly or in the framework of international fora will remain as a right way of just resolution of the Palestine problem.
2. On the issues of the Muslim Ummah - differences in the framework of one faith/Madh’habs (Hanafites, Hanbalites, Shafiyah, Malikiyah and Zahiriyah) Tajikistan welcomes the proposal of the Custodian of the two Holy Mosques concerning the Article 2 of the Final declaration of the Forth Extraordinary Summit of the OIC to establish the Centre for dialogue among Islamic schools of thoughts in Riyadh. We are also ready to adopt a document or recommendation that accelerates the activity of the Centre.
3. Tajikistan as an active supporter of international humanitarian efforts welcomes Resolution on humanitarian issues, which is proposed at this meeting and invites participants to engage in the issue of refugees more effectively.
4. We always back OIC member countries when it comes to the elections to the UN organs and it would be fair to expect the same treatment in return.
Tajikistan nominated its candidacy to the UN Security Council for the period of (2024-2025) and ECOSOC (2017-2019). We hope that this issue could find your Governments` valuable support.
5. Cooperation in the technical, cultural, social and informational directions is one of the key areas of the OIC activities. Therefore, we welcome resolutions proposed in these directions.
6. Unpredictable situation of the world economy urges us to focus more on strengthening economic component of our cooperation. It is known that the OIC made a lot of efforts in this direction. Therefore, I would like to stress once more the importance of OIC Plan of Action for Cooperation with Central Asia, adopted during the 38th session of the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers in Astana in 2011.
The plan provides a great opportunity for the Central Asian countries as well as for Tajikistan to attract investments for the implementation of regional projects with participation of OIC countries.
My country is very grateful for the inclusion of the construction of railway Dushanbe-Mazori Sharif–Herat in OIC Plan of Action. This project is vital for the economic development of both countries Tajikistan and Afghanistan, financing of which is still to be found.
We firmly believe the decision of the OIC to have the First Investment Forum on OIC Plan of Action for Cooperation with Central Asia will assist in attraction of investments to this project.
Tajikistan once again officially proposes to host above mentioned Forum in Dushanbe in the second half of October of this year.
7. Today Afghanistan is at a critical stage of the transition process and democratic election are vitally important for further strengthening of peace and unity of Afghan people.
Tajikistan welcomes the peaceful conduction of the second round of presidential election in Afghanistan. We do believe that the Afghan nation made a right choice and we assume that the elected Head of the State will serve for the benefit of its nation and the region.
8. Last but not least, one of the areas of cooperation can be rational use of water resources of the Central Asian region, in particular of Tajikistan for water provision, irrigation and electricity generation.
It is important to note that Tajikistan has never intended to ill-treat any country, that is to say rational use of water resources of Tajikistan has never supposed to harm downstream countries.
Success and failure of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation depends on skills and experience of Secretary General.
Therefore, I would like to use this opportunity to express our gratitude to Professor Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, for his two consecutive terms of his tireless efforts in service of the Islamic Ummah.
We congratulate Mr. Iyad Ameen Madani, newly appointed Secretary General of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and wish him every success in fulfilling his responsibilities as the Secretary General of this very important organization.
I thank you for your attention!