Within the framework of his official visit to France, the Founder of Peace and National Unity, Leader of the Nation, President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon met with the French business community representatives. The participants discussed the prospects of Tajik – French cooperation, particularly the expansion of trade and economic relationship.
The chair of Tajik-French Business Council opened the event.
While noting the necessity of expanding the intergovernmental cooperation in promising sectors such as hydropower, transit infrastructure, light, food and chemical industry, mechanical engineering, ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy as well as processing of healthy agricultural products and tourism, President Rahmon referred to the meeting as an important factor for the development of the relationship between the two friendly countries, which has a special place in Tajikistan’s foreign policy.
Currently 20 French companies are successfully operating in Tajikistan. The opening of the French Development Agency in Tajikistan would be another facilitating factor in propelling trade and economic relations between the two countries’ businesses.
During the meeting with leading businessmen and investors, Tajikistan's rich natural resources, such as water, precious stones, ferrous and non-ferrous metals, minerals, agricultural industry, and the cultivation of high-quality fruits, vegetables and cotton were presented as viable and profitable areas. The French entrepreneurs and investors were extended the invitation to visit Tajikistan to familiarize themselves with its ample opportunities.
Following the meeting the following new documents on cooperation were signed:
- MoU on cooperation between the Tajikistan's State Unitary Enterprise (SUE) Tojinvest and MEDEF International, French Republic.
- Agreement on cooperation between Tajik Aluminium Company (TALCO) and Fives Group in the amount of € 200 million, with €52 million for the reconstruction of production line of the burned anode at the first stage. It is worth noting that the anode production line was built 45 years ago by Fives Group.
- A tripartite agreement on cooperation between TALCO, Fives Group and the German company RIEDHAMMER for the import of modern technology for the reconstruction of TALCO’s anode production line.
- An agreement on cooperation between the Airbus and Somon Air on the import of helicopters.
- An agreement on cooperation between the Laboratoire INNOTECH International and SIFAT PHARMA.
- An agreement on cooperation between the Amid and the Shiver Group on the creation of a shopping center in the Bobojon Ghafurov district of Sughd.
- Memorandum on cooperation between the state institution Formation and Entrepreneurship Development of Tajikistan and 42,- a on-profit computer programming school.
The representative of the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs for Central Asia, as well as the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of France to the Republic of Tajikistan, heads of leading companies, in particular AIRBUS, Cluster MONTAGNE, FIVES, Group INNITHERA, SAFRAN, SCHIEVER, THALES, TOTAL, TRACTEBEL ENGINEERING and MEDEF INTERNATIONAL also delivered remarks and expressed interest in Tajikistan’s opportunities for cooperation.